Raw Cherry Cacao Truffles

I love raw food in all its forms and I am definitely not an ascetic. I love scrumptious desserts and indulge often, without guilt. First of all, I use only the very best, raw ingredients to make my desserts and confections; second, I waste as little food as possible. Like many other people who make juices or nut milk regularly, I save the pulp and use it in many recipes. What cannot be used ends up at the compost pile.


The recipe I am going to share with you today uses both, the leftover juice pulp and the almond pulp that remains after making raw almond milk.

Makes 20 delicious truffles.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups beet and cherry juice pulp (I used 2 cups of dark cherries and  3 medium large beets to make the juice)
  • 1 cup almond pulp leftover from making almond milk
  • 1 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 Tbsp Beauty Dust (superfood mix by Moon Juice Company, optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 tsp pink Himalaya salt
  • 1/2 cup almond pulp for garnish


Method:
  • Place all the ingredients in the bowl of your food processor and blend into a homogenous smooth dough. Keep in mind that the firmness and consistency depend on the quality of the juice pulp you are using. My juice was made with a Champion juicer and the pulp had enough moisture in it. You may have to adjust the amounts of ingredients just a bit. 
  • Transfer the dough into a large mixing bowl and place it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so.
  • Remove the bowl from the fridge and using clean hands start forming the truffles. Take about 1 table spoon of the dough and roll it in your hands into a firm ball. Set aside. Continue working in this way until you used up all the dough. You should be able to make about 20 truffles. 
  • Fill a small bowl with the almond pulp and roll each truffle in it. 
  • Set all the truffles on a platter. Place the platter in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. Allow the aromas to mingle. They will taste even better when you keep them in the fridge overnight. After one night the white almond pulp turns pink and makes the truffles even more appetizing.
  • Remove the platter from the fridge and enjoy in good company!


Store raw truffles in refrigerator in an air-tight container. The flavor improves by the day but I suggest you eat them within 4-5 days.

Tip: I found out that moisturizing my clean hands with coconut oil makes the whole truffle production a lot easier. I spread 1/2 tsp of coconut oil over my palms before working with the dough. To remove any temporary discoloration from beets or cacao I squeeze 1/2 lemon into my palms and allow the juice to do its work.  You may want to try this as well, or simply wear gloves.

In radiant health, passionately raw - Dominique

Dominique Allmon©2015