Raw Mango Coconut Cardamom Ice Cream

I love ice cream, but like many raw foodies have to think twice if not three times before I consider eating commercially made ice cream. The whole process of ice cream making, not to mention the ingredients is something to consider even if you are not a vegan or a raw food lover. Too much fat, too much sugar and who knows what else! 

Raw Mango Coconut Cardamom Ice Cream

If you cannot resist ice cold dessert, the best way to indulge is to make your own. If you have an ice cream maker, you simply have to follow the instruction manual. Use freshest, ripest fruit and a nut milk of your choice. Process. Ready!

But you can also make ice cream without an ice cream maker. Many of my older readers probably remember how their parents used to make ice cream using simple kitchen utensils and ice.

I am sharing with you my favorite recipe here. It is raw, paleo, gluten-free and suitable for vegans. I used the ripest mangoes I have ever tasted. To make things easier, I put the peeled and chopped fruit into a freezer for a couple of hours. Since I do not own an ice cream maker I used my blender. I wanted my ice cream-cum-soft serve to be very fruity. I used twice as much fruit as I used coconut milk. You can change the proportions if you want to. If you use coconut water instead of coconut milk you will make a wonderful sorbet.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups ripe mango, peeled, chopped and slightly frozen
  • 2 cups Thai style coconut milk (freshly made if possible)
  • 1 Tbsp organic maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp freshly grind cardamom 

Method: 
  • Place mango and coconut milk in the blender and process on a high speed until smooth.
  • Add maple syrup and cardamom. Blend for a few seconds. Make sure that you have a thick mass and not a liquid. Remember, you are making ice cream, not a smoothie.
  • Transfer the half-ready mango ice cream into a shallow glass dish or a BPA-free plastic container and place it in a freezer for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • When you think your ice cream is ready, (test the hardness with a spoon) scoop it out into individual dessert bowls. Serve right away and enjoy in good company!

It is a very hot day and my ice cream started turning into a soft serve before was I finished with my pictures. But even in its softer version it was simply divine.

In radiant health, passionately raw - Dominique

*To learn how to make coconut milk please click here



Dominique Allmon©2013